Wednesday, March 25, 2009

X vs Y

Over the past decade I have been slowly developing a theory on the difference between men and women when it comes to sickness and pain. I've noticed that there is a high tendency for men to take something as simple as having a cold and morph it into being something as serious as a death-bed sentence. Truthfully, I thought this trait was something that was either developed over the years or something that was fostered into them by their parents. This past weekend, however, I was proved wrong. This tendency is not something that just grows over time - no, it is gene deep. The differences lie in the tiny distinction in our chromosomal make-up - the addition of the Y chromosome.

Carson and McKinley came down with a cold this weekend (yes, the same cold - so my little research study is still valid) and the differences between them were quite surprising. Here were their different responses to very mundane events:

Eating dinner:
Mckinley: Takes a few bites, lays her head down on the table, takes a few more bites.
Carson: "I can't, I'm sick. I might throw up." Pushes his food away.

Walking up the stairs:
McKinley: Deliberately and slowly makes her ways up the stairs, taking breaks every few steps.
Carson: "I can't, I'm sick. Carry me." Lays down on the floor like a limp fish.

Taking a bath:
McKinley: Endures the bath, without making a peep.
Carson: "I can't, I'm sick. It's too cold." Keeps trying to turn on the water to make it warmer - and then when it is, complains it's too hot.

Going to bed:
McKinley: Lays down on her pillow, snuggles up to her blankey, and goes right to sleep.
Carson: "I can't, I'm sick. Lay down with me - it's too dark." Screams when Ben tries to leave the room.

Watching movies:
McKinely: Lays down quietly on the couch, not really caring what is on, just as long as her mommy or daddy is close by for cuddles.
Carson: Throws a fit when a movie gets put on that wasn't his choice, sits down on the floor with his arms folded in defiance, and then when asked to get back up on the couch exclaims, "I can't, I'm sick."

By the time last night was over I was at my wits end. Clearly, the reaction to a simple cold lies in the Y chromosome's ability to handle anything negative. Obviously it is beyond it's capacity to deal with anything painful or slightly annoying. Therefore, my conclusion to this study, is that anyone in possession of a Y chromosome is not only incapable of dealing with any kind of ailment appropriately, but also they must really, truly think they are worse-off than anyone else in the entire world.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

AMEN!!! I think the Y chromosome is the weaker of the two genes anyway.

Lisel said...

So true!!

Jeff Johnson said...

I think anyone who went/goes/likes the Y is genetically weak.

As far as men vs women when they are sick, men know to take it easy so we get better faster :)