As part of my job, I help a variety of different people who have had strokes, brain injuries, or anything else that could affect their brain or swallowing abilities. Because this is the population I work with, I will often hear some very funny comments that are unedited, off the wall, or just (for lack of a better word) crazy. Here is one such example:
(Background: I have been working with this same patient for 3 long weeks trying to get him to remember to tuck his chin when he drinks (no reason to explain further - it's just safer for him). I have worked with him twice a day during meals to remember this silly little strategy. Despite my constant efforts, creative thinking, and threatening, he still can't remember to tuck his chin. I think I was finally at my wits end today - and clearly he was too.)
Me: (As the patient is drinking) Tuck your chin, tuck your chin. Please don't forget to tuck your chin.
Patient: (With his head up) Doesn't it look like I'm tucking my chin?
Me: No - as a matter of fact, it doesn't.
Patient: Fine (then takes another drink without tucking his chin).
Me: What are you doing? Why aren't you tucking your chin?
Patient: You know what, sometimes you can be such a PITA!
Me: A PITA? What's that (thinking he had finally lost all sense)?
Patient: Don't you know? You must be the president or something.
Me: What are you talking about?
Patient: It's how I would describe you - PITA.
Me: But what's that supposed to mean?
Patient: Well, that you are a Pain In The Ass.
Great. Despite all my efforts at saving his life (literally), I'm still a PITA. The best part of the whole thing is that I wouldn't be such a PITA if he would just remember to do what he needed to do. Oh well, I guess these are the comments and times that prove how much I really love my job. Hopefully there will be more funny comments to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ha! Gotta love these patients. I have a new patient that says, "Hello, beautiful" everytime I see him. I think I might see him for an extra session today. :)
He He He...that's funny! I may start using PITA to describe a few people myself!
I agree you are a High Maintenance PITA!!!
Post a Comment