Monday, December 8, 2008

Daddy Day

As some of you might know, I work at a hospital as a speech-language pathologist.  Because I work at a hospital, someone has to be there to help people get better every day.  So, some of us have very different schedules.  My schedule is that I work for 7 days and then I have 7 days off.  It probably sounds crazy, but if you think about it - it's sheer bliss.  I only work the equivalent of 27 weeks out of the year, but get paid for working full-time.  It's great.  One of the draw-backs to that schedule, however, is that I work every-other weekend.  This means that Ben is in charge of the kids for two weekends out of the month.  He is in charge of the day-to-day cares like keeping the kids alive and out of harm's way.  That's really all I can expect out of him.  He tries to put together respectable looking outfits for the kids and to do their hair (pretty laughable sometimes when you have a little girl to put bows in), but they somehow always end up looking homeless.  I really must admit, he tries.  But, this last weekend when I called home to see how my family was doing (and yes, to make sure my kids were still alive), I asked Carson what he was doing.  Here is our conversation:

Carson: "I'm eating Lucky Charms."
Me: "Oh, that's a pretty good breakfast."
Carson: "Yeah, but I'm just eating marshmallows."
Me: "Ok.  Well, what else are you going to do today?"
Carson: "Um, probably eat donuts and cookies too."

Fantastic.  Well, I guess all I really can hope for is that he manages to keep the kids alive.  There's certainly no hope for their teeth or early-onset diabetes, but hey, at least their alive.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yeah!! A blog! Now I can add an extra few minutes of things to do to avoid working.
I have to say that I miss having every other week off, but I really like not working every other weekend. If only I could find a job that would let me work 5 days on and then 9 days off!
Hope you guy have a great Christmas!