Thursday, June 25, 2009

What Now?

So, I've decided that the dentist is officially making a killing off of Carson this month. FIrst he had his tooth pulled, then he went in for a cleaning, and then they found out he had 2 cavities. Yes, that's right - my 4 year old has cavities. I think we are going to be paying for the dentist's new boat.


We went in today to have Carson's 2 cavities filled - not with pretty white fillings, but the ugly old silver ones. So, now my son has a missing front tooth and silver teeth. Great. My hands were tied with the silver choice (evidently baby teeth can't hold onto the white filling because it just falls out), and hopefully everyone agrees that I really had no choice on the teeth pulling thing. The only thing I've got going for me now is that his permanent teeth will be coming in a few years, so hopefully it will negate all this nonsense. Just in case, though - I have to take some precautions now to hopefully prevent more teeth problems in the future. Carson swears up and down that he will brush his teeth really good every morning and night, and I'll let him - but I'm brushing them first. I've already talked to his pediatrician and got a prescription for fluoride, and I've now outlawed any night-time sweets and eating after brushing teeth at night. Maybe that will work (ha,ha).


showMessage.jpg


Carson was once again a great sport. He thoroughly enjoyed the nitrous oxide (he was cracking up at everything anyone said), didn't mind all the poking and prodding, but did have a problem with the actual spacer - and cried quite a bit. But, despite the pain, he remained fairly still and let the dentist do his work. He really was great, and I was very proud of him. But, both Carson and I agree that that was one experience we don't need to replicate.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

So... my dentist wouldn't pull one of Jack's teeth, even though the new one was coming in behind it. That kind of bugged me. And my kids have had cavities too - both boys, and they've been filled with white. I don't know why things are so different from dentist to dentist! It is expensive, though! Good luck to us both!

Brittany said...

Hey - I wanna see some Hawaii pics...

Miss T said...

Melia already had 2 cavities filled about 6-10 months ago-----hers were orange fillings. Since then I have switched to a pediatric dentist, and switched to flouride toothpaste that was provided by the dentist----seems to have helped