Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Think You Might Be Right

I have a patient right now that has been in the hospital for about 3 weeks with a myriad of complications. The biggest thing I have been working on lately is trying to get him to just know where he is and why he's here - and remember that for longer than 30 minutes. Here was a conversation I had with him today - it made me laugh:

Me: So what is today's date?
Patient: Let's see...it's Friday, I think, June 30th, 1997.
Me: Not quite. It's actually Wednesday, January 28th, 2009.
Patient: Oh, wow. Do you realize that I have been here for almost 3 days - and I have no idea why?
Me: Well, you've actually been here for a few weeks because you had surgery and we are trying to get you healthy again.
Patient: Interesting. Did you know that this whole place (meaning the hospital) used to be a part of my house?
Me: Hmmm...are you sure?
Patient: Well, I think so. But that brings me to another point - do you know that everyone around this place thinks that I'm nuts?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Love it! So funny. Things like this definitely keep our jobs interesting!