Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Subconcious Favortism?

This last Saturday Ben and I took the kids to Toys-R-Us to let them pick out a toy and spend their "toy money" Christmas gift certificates. Carson was very methodical in his search criteria, ensuring we went up and down every single isle in a very direct pattern so he would be able to look at all his options and choose correctly. McKinley was just pleased as punch to be out of the house, and didn't seem too eager for anything but the dress-up clothes. By the time our tour of the toy store was complete, Carson had picked out a "loopy-loop" Geo Trax airplane set and McKinley decided on a purse and accessories set. I was pleased that McKinley had picked out something so inexpensive - but Ben insisted on making it "fair" and also encouraged her to get a Little People house.

When we got home, we immediately put together Carson's track, but didn't really think about McKinley's toys at the time. We finally got around to opening up her toys and setting up the house on Sunday. She played with her toys every waking moment on Sunday, and has continued playing with them since. Ben and I were both pleased at how much McKinley was enjoying her toys, when we both suddenly realized that McKinley doesn't really get that many new toys to play with. What kind of parent am I to only get one child a toy, and when I do get them both one, only set one of them up? Grrr...and here I thought I was treating each kid as fairly as possible. Luckily, I have come to this realization early enough to change my ways, but I'm sure she will be quick to remind me of any unfair treatment she notes when she's older, further pouring salt into my wounds. Oh well, I guess I deserve it.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It could be worse, we don't buy hardly any toys for Pearl at all and she's an only child!